New Zealand Certificate in Business
(Introduction to Team Leadership) (Level 3)
DO YOU WANT TO BECOME A GREAT TEAM LEADER?
The Introduction to Team Leadership 3 programme is designed to give new team leaders (or those wanting to move into leadership) the practical skills and knowledge to contribute to effective team performance and be effective in a leadership role within a team.
|WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAMME?
- Learn the skills to become a great team leader.
- Increase confidence in your role.
- Develop your communication, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Complete a qualification while still working.
|WHO SHOULD ENROL?
- New team leaders wanting to increase their skills and knowledge.
- Anyone wanting to become a team leader.
- Team leaders who want a formal qualification.
|WHEN IS THE NEXT INTAKE?
In 2024 we will have intakes starting in April and July.
Enrolments are now open, so secure your place as fully funded spaces are limited.
|IN WHICH REGIONS WILL THE PROGRAMME BE DELIVERED?
The programme is delivered in various regions throughout New Zealand, provided that minimum learner numbers are met.
You are also able to join as part of an online group, where face-to-face sessions are facilitated via Zoom.
$0.00 - Fully funded by the government for New Zealand citizens and residents.
|ENTRY CRITERIA & REQUIREMENTS
- New Zealand citizen or resident.
- Must be employed or have access to a workplace to meet the requirements of assessment.
- Full support from your manager, supervisor, or senior colleague.
- Regular access to and use of a computer with reliable internet.
- Minimum of three years secondary education; or a relevant qualification at NZQF Level 2; or equivalent workplace experience.
- Learners who have English as a second language are required to have an International English Language Test System (IELTS) score of 5 in the academic band, with no individual band score lower than 5; or equivalent.
- Actively support and encourage your team member throughout the programme (including pre-course goal setting and assessment sign-off).
- Allow flexibility within work hours to attend all face-to-face sessions and complete required learning activities.
- Monitor your team members’ progress and achievement of assessments and provide additional support where necessary.
So that you can balance your work, family, and study commitments, the four modules of the programme are delivered over a 12-month period, part-time.
PROGRAMME DURATION: 12 months (part-time)
TIME COMMITMENT: NZQA guidelines suggest up to 450 hours of total study time for a 45-credit programme. This is the equivalent of approximately 10 hours study per week. Depending on your previous experience and academic achievement, this may vary to a certain degree.
This programme is delivered via blended learning and a flipped-classroom model.
What is blended learning?
- Blended learning combines both online learning and face-to-face sessions.
- Online learning will include readings, watching videos, using interactive media, quizzes, taking part in online discussions and completing assessments.
What is a flipped classroom?
- A flipped classroom is where learners are introduced to content (often online) prior to attending face-to-face sessions. When attending face-to-face sessions (in person or via Zoom), this content is then put into context.
How many sessions do I attend?
- There are four full day face-to-face sessions to attend throughout the duration of the programme.
- The remaining hours of learning are completed online, in your own time over 12 months.
Module 1: Understanding the workplace
Introducing business requirements, stakeholder communication, objective setting, problem-solving, decision-making, and leadership styles. By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Identify and understand the requirements of a business entity
- Understand the principles of stakeholder communication
- Demonstrate knowledge of objective setting
- Understand fundamental problem-solving and decision-making practices
- Identify different leadership styles.
CONTENT TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Understanding a business entity
- Identification and responsibilities of stakeholders
- Adapting communication styles for different stakeholders
- Understanding goals and objectives and their purpose
- Setting goals and objectives
- Strategic and operational objectives
- Identifying and understanding problem-solving and decision-making techniques
- Types and features of leadership styles
Module 2: Effective team practices
Understanding the potential for team principles, communication, cooperative working, and team leadership styles, to effect team performance. By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Understand principles for effective team performance
- Understand cooperative working styles and communication and how they support team performance
- Understand the potential effectiveness of different leadership styles when working in a team
CONTENT TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Effective teamwork principles
- Effective communication strategies and their importance within a team
- Working cooperatively in a team
- Improving team performance
- Advantages and disadvantages of different leadership styles
- Different leadership styles for different situations
- Leadership styles that encourage effective teamwork
Module 3: Leadership and self-management
Developing and applying your own contribution to team performance. By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Recognise and respond positively to diversity in a team situation
- Demonstrate professional, ethical, and socially and culturally appropriate behaviour in the application of team performance principles
- Understand how self-management can enhance business performance
CONTENT TOPICS INCLUDE:
- The importance of diversity in a workplace
- Supporting a diverse workplace
- Behaviour in the workplace and how it contributes to team work and performance
- Self-management strategies that enhance team and business performance
Module 4: Applying effective techniques and team strategies
Applying effective techniques and strategies to develop and meet team objectives. By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Apply effective problem-solving and decision-making techniques for business purposes
- Apply effective self-management strategies to enhance business performance
- Use effective team performance principles to lead a team
- Develop objectives for a team
- Use cooperative working styles and effective communication to support team performance
- Demonstrate professional, ethical, and socially and culturally appropriate behaviour in the application of team performance principles and when developing team objectives
CONTENT TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making
- Using objectives to drive effective team performance
- Contributing effectively to team performance
- Effective self-management
- Using communication effectively
- Demonstrating appropriate behaviour in the workplace that contributes to team work and performance
US 29041 (v2) - 20 Credits
Apply principles for effective performance within a team in a business context
US 29042 (v2) - 15 Credits
Develop objectives for a team in a business context
US 29043 (v2) - 10 Credits
Describe and compare different styles of team leadership in a business context